We have now launched the new 2018 Nautilus Season! Entries will be accepted with Postmark-date between September 21, 2018 and February 8, 2019.
General criteria for eligible Nautilus Entries for the upcoming season, Sept 21, 2018- Feb 8, 2019:
- Print book, in English, with ISBN number
- Publication date during 2017 or 2018
- High-quality writing
- Published version, no "Advance Reader copy"
- Articulate and excellent message for the Category selected
- Expresses one or more of the four Nautilus values (described below under Nautilus Mission)
Season timing - There are three phases for the Nautilus Entry Fees:
- When your Entry package is postmarked between September 21– through October 31, the Early Bird Entry Fees apply.
- Postmarks from November 1- through December 31 are eligible for the Regular Entry Fees.
- Packages postmarked from January 2- through Feb 8, 2019 will require the Final Entry Fees (see below).
The Nautilus Mission continues – Better Books for a Better World! To recognize, promote, and celebrate books that support conscious living & sustainability, high-level wellness, spiritual growth, and positive social change & social justice.
These four aspects of the Nautilus Mission are an integral part of the assessment that the Reviewers use in recommending the Finalists, and that the Judges Team later uses to select a few extraordinary books as Award Winners in each category. A book does not need to express all four qualities of the Mission in order to be selected as an Award Winner; however, books that are infused with two or more of the qualities will generally earn a higher rating. Our Reviewers are serious and dedicated about recognizing excellent books that bring wisdom, love, hope, and creativity to their readers!
To see an overview of books from past years that have been recognized with a Nautilus Award, go to the 2017 Winners archives:
The Bookcovers of the Winners, as well as a PDF list of all the Winners, are shown on our 2017 Gold Winners page, and the 2017 Silver Winners page!
Opening and Closing Dates -- for 2018 season!
* All dates below are by postmark date of postal service (U.S. Mail or International mail),
or by private delivery service (eg, FedEx, UPS).
Opening Date: September 21, 2018
Sept 21-- Oct 31, 2018 (Wed.) Early Bird Entry Fee
We are now in the phase of Early Bird Entry Fees:
$165 USD for one Category in which your Title is entered
+ $125 USD for any additional Category for the same Title.
Note: all books for Children & Young Adults have $125 Early Bird Entry Fee.
Second phase of Season:
Nov 1 – Dec 31, 2018 (Mon.) Regular Entry Fee ($10 increase per Category in which book is entered)
Third phase of Season:
Jan. 2 – Feb 8, 2019 (Fri.) Final Entry Fee ($10 increase per Category in which book is entered)
See below for three payment-method options.
We are now accepting Entries for 2018 Season in 35 genre Categories
The 2018 Nautilus Book Awards season has now launched! We are accepting entries in 35 subject categories (a few with A and B segments, see Categories webpage), and 8 of those categories are for Children, Mid-Grade Teens and Young Adults.
We accept Entries from Self-publishers, Small Presses, Hybrid-publishers (more than ten Titles annual), and traditional Larger publishers -- the full spectrum of the Print Publishing world (English language).
Each year the Nautilus Book Awards has three honorary categories that we acknowledge and recognize:
- Best in Small Press
- Best Self-Published book
- Best in Children's Literature
In addition, a Grand Prize Winner will be selected from among the Gold Award Winners in all categories. The author of the Grand Prize-Winning book receives a $2,500 cash prize, with our honor and gratitude.
Our judges consider a Small Press title to be any book that qualifies for entry in the Nautilus Awards and is from a publisher who produces 2 to 10 books annually, and those books are from multiple authors. All qualified, paid submissions from a Small Press or Self-Publisher become candidates for the "Best of..." awards. It cannot be entered otherwise.
Instructions for Entry Form
An Entry Form must be submitted for each copy of each Title, and inserted (not taped) inside the front cover.
- fill-out the Entry Form (separate Form for each Category you are entering in)
- make multiple photo-copies of the completed Entry Form
- insert a completed copy in each physical book. You are welcome to fold the Entry Form to fit inside a smaller book.
2018 Entry Form, with detailed instructions, is HERE. The Entry Form is available now, for you to begin reading and filling out.
Your registration is not complete until all three components reach the Nautilus Office:
a) Package of Books, postmarked by due-date for that Entry Fee period;
b) with completed Entry Forms;
c) and Payment (see below for three Payment-method options).
Payment method - Three options
- CHECK: Enclose your Check with the books-package and Entry forms. A single check (USD payable to "Nautilus Book Awards") may be written to cover all categories entered.
- PAYPAL: online via PayPal system (via your PayPal account, or with credit card: PayPal accepts VISA, MC, Discover, AmEx). > PayPal links are on this page (see below).
- PAYMENTECH direct: contact Mary Belknap to arrange this option at email@example.com You will provide credit card information by phone (Chase Bank application accepts VISA, MC, or Discover).
Note: If you select option 2 or 3 - you will need to ship your Books and Entry Forms separately from the payment.
PayPal links (below) are now Active.
.Be sure to type the Author Name, Book Title inside the box, BEFORE you click the "Add to Cart" button!
- You need to pay the PayPal First Category Fee for an entry (left box) before a book is eligible for the lower fee of PayPal Additional Categories (right box).
- For the same title in a second or third category - and for all Childrens/Young Adult categories - use the PayPal Additional Categories button (right box).
Reminder: The Early Bird Entry Fee rates ($165, and $125) will apply from September 21 through October 31, 2018.
Note: click the "Add to Cart" button only once for each box needed! The PayPal platform will open a new tab in your browser, and show your Cart for the Entry Fee. If you click twice by mistake, and the Cart shows "2" entries, just click the minus-sign, to return the total to "1" Entry.
How many Books to Send:
We need four (4) copies of each Book Title for the initial category that you enter. If you enter the SAME title in additional categories, please send three (3) additional books for each additional category entered. Example: If you enter a title in Parenting – plus, you want to enter the same title in Psychology – you will need to send 4 + 3 books, for a total of seven (7) books for the two categories.
The reason we need this number of copies is that our Reviewers live in different cities and, in some instances, in different States of U.S.A. Our Office mails one copy to each Reviewer in the selected Category. Plus, one copy is maintained at the Nautilus Office, as reference copy for any questions that arise.
How to Send Books:
Please ship Books with Entry Forms enclosed, using a nation-wide shipping service such as U.S. Postal, U.S. Priority Mail, FedEx, UPS, so you can insure and/or track your package.
Note: We welcome International mail for Book entries from other nations. Use your national Mail Service, and send the Book package to the PO Box address (see below). Do NOT send International packages to the street address: There is No Mailbox there.
FOR USA SENDERS – The best shipping option (especially for large or heavy books) is to use the U.S. Postal Service FLAT RATE BOX / PRIORITY MAIL
TRACKING: Please arrange to be able to track your package so you will know when it arrives. Both U.S. Media Mail (Book rate), and Priority Mail provide tracking information. You also have the option to purchase a ''Confirmation of Delivery" receipt, or enclose a SASP (postcard) in the package for confirmation of arrival.
Because the Nautilus Office receives hundreds of packages during the active season, our staff do not have time to send written confirmation of delivery. Your tracking information purchased with the postage is the best method to use.
We generally do not recommend 4TH CLASS BOOK RATE mail, as it can take a week or more to arrive and cannot be insured. Exception: for packages within Washington State, the Book Rate works fine.
ADDRESS FOR SHIPPING Via USA Mail and International Mail
For all packages via US Mail /U.S. Postal Service – and packages via International Mail services:
Nautilus Book Awards
Mary Belknap, Director
P.O. BOX 2285 VASHON, WA 98070 USA
ADDRESS FOR SHIPPING Via FedEx, UPS or other domestic courier services ONLY
(i.e., the courier employee walks to the front door. There is No Mailbox at this address)
Nautilus Book Awards
Mary Belknap, Director
9427 SW 156th St, Vashon WA 98070
. (phone reference for courier: 206. 304-2250)