The full list (PDF) of the 2019 Award Winners is posted on our Welcome page. Thanks to all of you who participated in the 2019 Nautilus Season!
General criteria for eligible Nautilus Entries for the current season that launched on September 21, 2020 and will accept new entries through February 10, 2021 (postmark date of Books package):
- Print book, in English, with ISBN number
- Publication date &/or Copyright during either 2019 or 2020
- High-quality writing
- Published version, no "Advance Reader Copy"; our staff will contact the Author to replace the entry books if Advance Copies are received.
- Articulate and excellent message for the Category selected
- Expresses one or more of the four Nautilus values, described below under Nautilus Mission
- Book is not a prior entry to the Nautilus program
Season timing - There are three phases for the Nautilus Entry Fees:
- When your Entry package is postmarked from September 21– through October 31, the Early Bird Entry Fees apply.
- Postmarks from November 1- through December 31 are eligible for the Regular Entry Fees.
- NOW > Packages postmarked from January 1 - through February 10, 2021 require Final Entry Fees. (see below for Fees)
The Nautilus Mission continues – Better Books for a Better World!
To recognize, promote, and celebrate books that support:
conscious living & sustainability, high-level health & wellness, spiritual growth, and positive social change & social justice.
These four aspects of the Nautilus Mission are an integral part of the assessment that the Reviewers use in recommending the Finalists, and that the Judges Panel then references to select extraordinary books as Award Winners in each category. A book does not need to express all four qualities of the Mission in order to be selected as an Award Winner. However, books that are infused with two or more of the qualities will generally earn a higher rating. Our Reviewers are dedicated about their task of recognizing excellent books that radiate wisdom, love, hope, collaborative spirit, and creativity - and the authors who share these energies with their readers!
To see an overview of books from past years that have been recognized with a Nautilus Award, go to the Nautilus Winners webpage/ 2019, 2018 or 2017 Winners:
The Bookcovers of all Winners, as well as a PDF list of the recent 2019 Award Winners, are shown on our 2019 Gold Winners page, and the 2019 Silver Winners page!
Opening and Closing Dates -- for 2020 season
* All dates below are by postmark date of postal service:
U.S. Mail or International mail --
or by private delivery service (eg, FedEx, UPS).
Opening Date: September 21, 2020
> Sept 21-- Oct 31, 2020 (Sat.) postmark -- Early Bird Entry Fees apply.
Early Bird Fees are: $180 USD for one Category (General Reader categories 01-29) in which your Title is entered;
+ $150 for an additional Category for the same Title.
Note: Books for Children /Mid-Grades /Young Adults (categories 30- 35) have $150 Early Bird Fee.
Second phase of the Season: All Entry Fees increase by $10 per category for the second phase of Season.
November 1 – through Dec 31, 2020 (Thur.) postmark on package -- Regular Entry Fees apply.
Regular Entry Fees: $190 USD for one Category (General Reader categories 01- 29)
+ $160 for the same Title in an additional category.
Books for Children /Mid-Grades /Young Adults (categories 30- 35) have $160 Regular Entry Fee during November and December.
Third phase of our Season begins at the New Year:
In the last weeks of Nautilus Season, January 1 – February 10, 2021 for your postmark date when the package leaves your hands -- Final Entry Fees apply.
Final Entry Fees: $200 USD for one Category (General Reader categories 01- 29)
optional + $170 for the same Title in an additional category, if the Author or Publisher chooses.
Books for Children /Mid-Grades /Young Adults (categories 30- 35) have $170 Final Entry Fee during January through mid-February.
See below for three payment-method options.
We are now accepting Entries for 2020 Season in 35+ genre Categories
The 2020 Nautilus Book Awards season launched on September 21, and will accept entries through mid-February 2021. The Final date for your package (with books and Entry Form) to be eligible will be postmark by February 10, 2021 Wed. We accept entries in 35 subject categories (a few with A and B segments, see Categories webpage), and 8 of those categories are for Children, Mid-Grade Teens and Young Adults.
We accept Entries from Self-publishers, Small Presses (2- 10 Titles annual, & from multiple authors), Hybrid-publishers, and traditional Larger publishers -- the full spectrum of the Print Publishing world in the English language. Nautilus does not accept e-books as program entries.
Each year the Nautilus Book Awards presents three honorary awards that we acknowledge and recognize:
- Best in Small Press
- Best Self-Published book
- Best in Children's Literature
Our judges consider a Small Press title to be any book that qualifies for entry in the Nautilus Awards and is from a publisher who produces 2 to 10 books annually, and those books are from multiple authors. All qualified, paid submissions from a Small Press, Self-Publisher, or Children's book become candidates for the "Best of..." awards. A book cannot be entered for these Special Honors otherwise.
Instructions for Entry Form
An Entry Form must be submitted for each physical book of each Title, and inserted (not taped) inside the front cover.
- fill-out the Entry Form (separate Form for each Category you are entering in)
- make multiple photo-copies of the completed Entry Form: 4 copies for 1st category; plus 3 copies for a 2nd category, if needed.
- insert an Entry Form copy inside each physical book. You are welcome to fold the Entry Form to fit well inside a book.
Entry Form and Instructions Page are shown at links below. Links are now LIVE for phase 3: January 1 through February 10, 2021
- WRITE-IN FORM to fill out by hand [choose this link if you prefer to complete the Entry Form with pen]
- ONLINE FORM TO TYPE type info online and then print hardcopy to submit the Entry with your book (works best in Chrome browser)
- INSTRUCTION page - for both of the Entry formats above. Please read the Instruction page carefully; it is intended to answer several FAQs.
Your Entry registration will be complete when ALL THREE components reach the Nautilus Office in WA State:
a) Entry Form completed, with a photocopy inserted inside the front cover of each Book;
b) Payment - see below for three Payment-method options; and
. c) Package of Books, postmarked before/by the due-date for that Entry Fee period. Right now, that means postmark by closing date of our Season: Wed. FEB. 10, 2021.
Payment method - Three options
- CHECK or Money Order in USD: Enclose your Check with the books-package and Entry forms. A single check or Money Order USD (payable to "Nautilus Book Awards") may be written to cover all Titles and categories you are sending as entries.
- PAYPAL: online via PayPal system (with credit card: PayPal accepts VISA, MC, Discover, Amer Express). > Link to the Nautilus PayPal account is on this page [see below]. You do not need to have a PayPal account to use the PayPal-portal on this webpage.
- PAYMENTECH direct: You will provide credit card information by phone (note: Chase Bank system accepts VISA, MC, or Discover; but does NOT accept AmerExpress). contact Mary Belknap to arrange this option: email@example.com
Note: If you select option 2 or 3 - you will need to ship your Books separately from the Payment. Also: If you need to send the Entry Forms separately from the Books, due to working remotely in 2021, please contact Mary Belknap at email above to discuss.
Fee payment via PayPal:
Entry Links below are LIVE for the current pricing phase (JAN and FEB 2021).
First Category $200
(in categories 01- 29)
Complete the two text boxes
before clicking CART
Second Category $170
(in categories 01- 29)
Complete the two text boxes
before clicking CART
Child | MidGr | YA $170
(in categories 30- 35)
Complete the two text fields
before clicking CART
How many Books to Send:
We need four (4) copies of each Book Title for the initial category that you enter.
If you enter the SAME title in an additional category, send three (3) more books for the additional category you enter. Example: If you enter a title in Parenting – plus, you decide to enter the same title in Psychology – you will need to send 4 + 3 books, for a total of seven (7) books for the two categories.
Why do we need this number of copies? Because our Reviewers live in different cities and, in some instances, in different States of U.S.A. Our Office mails one Book to each Reviewer in the selected Category. Plus, one copy of each Title is maintained at the Nautilus Office, as reference copy for any questions that arise during the eight months of our Season.
How to Send Books:
- Insert a photocopy of the completed Entry Form inside front-cover of each book you send.
- Use a nation-wide shipping service such as U.S. Postal, U.S. Priority Mail, FedEx, UPS, so you can insure and/or track your package.
- Note: We welcome International mail for Book entries from other nations. Use your national Mail Service, and send the Book package to the PO Box address (see below). Important: Do NOT send International packages to the street address. There is No Mailbox there!
FOR USA SENDERS – The best shipping option (especially for large or heavy books) is to use the U.S. Postal Service FLAT RATE BOX /PRIORITY MAIL -3 day service.
TRACKING: Please arrange to be able to track your package so you will know when it arrives. Both U.S. Media Mail (Book rate), and Priority Mail provide tracking information. You also have the option to purchase a ''Confirmation of Delivery" receipt. Or enclose a SASP (postcard) in the package for confirmation of arrival.
Because the Nautilus Office receives more than 500 packages during the active season, our staff do not send written confirmation of delivery. Your tracking information purchased with the postage, or enclosing a SASP, are the best methods to use.
We have found that sending books by 4TH CLASS BOOK RATE mail can work fine. It can sometimes take a week or more to arrive and cannot be insured. For packages coming from Western States of USA, the Book Rate works quite well (even in 2020!). PS Note: As of November 2020, the packages sent by Book Rate from the East Coast or Midwest of USA are taking about 14- 18 days to arrive in WA State. Please plan accordingly.
ADDRESS FOR SHIPPING Via USA Mail and International Mail
Packages via U.S. Postal Service – and International Mail services:
Nautilus Book Awards
P.O. BOX 2285 Vashon, WA 98070 USA
ADDRESS FOR DELIVERY Via FedEx, UPS, or other domestic courier services:
(i.e., the courier employee walks to the front door. There is No Mailbox at this address)
Nautilus Book Awards
Mary Belknap, Director
9427 SW 156th St, Vashon WA 98070-3943
. (reference for courier: 206. 304-2250)