The full list (PDF) of the 2019 Award Winners is posted on our Welcome page. Thanks to all of you who participated in the 2019 Nautilus Season!
General criteria for eligible Nautilus Entries for the upcoming season beginning September 21, 2020, Monday:
- Print book, in English, with ISBN number
- Publication date during either 2019 or 2020
- High-quality writing
- Published version, no "Advance Reader Copy"; our staff will contact the Author to replace the entry books if Advance Copies are received.
- Articulate and excellent message for the Category selected
- Expresses one or more of the four Nautilus values, described below under Nautilus Mission
- Book is not a prior entry to the Nautilus program
Season timing - There are three phases for the Nautilus Entry Fees:
- When your Entry package is postmarked from September 21– through October 31, the Early Bird Entry Fees apply. (see below for Fees)
- Postmarks from November 1- through December 31 are eligible for the Regular Entry Fees.
- Packages postmarked from January 1 - through February 10, 2021 will require Final Entry Fees.
The Nautilus Mission continues – Better Books for a Better World!
To recognize, promote, and celebrate books that support:
conscious living & sustainability, high-level health & wellness, spiritual growth, and positive social change & social justice.
These four aspects of the Nautilus Mission are an integral part of the assessment that the Reviewers use in recommending the Finalists, and that the Judges Team then uses to select extraordinary books as Award Winners in each category. A book does not need to express all four qualities of the Mission in order to be selected as an Award Winner. However, books that are infused with two or more of the qualities will generally earn a higher rating. Our Reviewers are dedicated about recognizing excellent books that radiate wisdom, love, hope, collaborative spirit, and creativity - and authors that share these energies with their readers!
To see an overview of books from past years that have been recognized with a Nautilus Award, go to the Nautilus Winners / 2019, 2018 or 2017 Winners webpage:
The Bookcovers of all Winners, as well as a PDF list of the recent 2019 Award Winners, are shown on our 2019 Gold Winners page, and the 2019 Silver Winners page!
Opening and Closing Dates -- for 2020 season
* All dates below are by postmark date of postal service:
U.S. Mail or International mail --
or by private delivery service (eg, FedEx, UPS).
Opening Date: September 21, 2020
> Sept 21-- Oct 31, 2020 (Sat.) postmark -- Early Bird Entry Fees apply.
Early Bird Fees are: $180 USD for one Category (General Reader categories 01-29) in which your Title is entered;
+ $150 for an additional Category for the same Title.
Note: Books for Children /Mid-Grades /Young Adults (categories 30- 35) have $150 Early Bird Fee.
Second phase of the Season: Note: All Entry Fees increase by $10 per category for the second phase of Season.
November 1 – through Dec 31, 2020 (Thur.) postmark on package -- Regular Entry Fees apply.
Regular Entry Fees: $190 USD for one Category (General Reader categories 01- 29)
+ $160 for the same Title in an additional category.
Books for Children /Mid-Grades /Young Adults (categories 30- 35) have $160 Regular Entry Fee during November and December.
Third phase of Season begins at New Year:
During the last weeks of Nautilus Season, January 1 – February 10, 2021 postmark date on package -- Final Entry Fees apply.
Final Entry Fees: $200 USD for one Category (General Reader categories 01- 29)
+ $170 for the same Title in an additional category.
Books for Children /Mid-Grades /Young Adults (categories 30- 35) have $170 Final Entry Fee during January through mid-February.
See below for three payment-method options.
We will soon be accepting Entries for 2020 Season in 35+ genre Categories
The 2020 Nautilus Book Awards season will launch on September 21! This is the date when Entry packages (with books and Entry Form) can first be postmarked for the new Season. We will accept entries in 35 subject categories (a few with A and B segments, see Categories webpage), and 8 of those categories are for Children, Mid-Grade Teens and Young Adults.
We accept Entries from Self-publishers, Small Presses (2- 10 Titles annual, & from multiple authors), Hybrid-publishers, and traditional Larger publishers -- the full spectrum of the Print Publishing world in the English language.
In addition, each year the Nautilus Book Awards presents three honorary categories that we acknowledge and recognize:
- Best in Small Press
- Best Self-Published book
- Best in Children's Literature
Our judges consider a Small Press title to be any book that qualifies for entry in the Nautilus Awards and is from a publisher who produces 2 to 10 books annually, and those books are from multiple authors. All qualified, paid submissions from a Small Press, Self-Publisher, or Children's book become candidates for the "Best of..." awards. A book cannot be entered for these Special Honors otherwise.
Instructions for Entry Form
An Entry Form must be submitted for each physical book of each Title, and inserted (not taped) inside the front cover.
- fill-out the Entry Form (separate Form for each Category you are entering in)
- make multiple photo-copies of the completed Entry Form: 4 copies for 1st category; plus 3 copies for a 2nd category, if needed.
- insert an Entry Form copy inside each physical book. You are welcome to fold the Entry Form to fit inside a smaller book.
2020 Entry Form and Instructions Page are shown at links below:
- WRITE-IN FORM to fill out by hand
- ONLINE FORM TO TYPE info online and then print hardcopy to submit with your book (works best in Chrome browser)
Your Entry registration will be complete when ALL THREE components reach the Nautilus Office:
a) Entry Form completed, with a photocopy inserted inside the front cover of each Book;
b) Payment - see below for three Payment-method options; and
. c) Package of Books, postmarked before the due-date for that Entry Fee period.
Payment method - Three options
- CHECK or Money Order in USD: Enclose your Check with the books-package and Entry forms. A single check or Money Order USD (payable to "Nautilus Book Awards") may be written to cover all categories entered.
- PAYPAL: online via PayPal system (with credit card: PayPal accepts VISA, MC, Discover, Amer Express). > Link to the Nautilus PayPal account is on this page (see below).
- PAYMENTECH direct: You will provide credit card information by phone (note: Chase Bank system accepts VISA, MC, or Discover; but does NOT accept AmerExpress). contact Mary Belknap to arrange this option: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If you select option 2 or 3 - you will need to ship your Books and Entry Forms separately from the Payment.
Fee payment via PayPal:
Entry Links below are live for the current pricing phase.
First Category $180
Childrens/MidGr/YA; or 2nd Adult Category $150
How many Books to Send:
We need four (4) copies of each Book Title for the initial category that you enter.
If you enter the SAME title in an additional category, send three (3) additional books for the additional category you enter. Example: If you enter a title in Parenting – plus, you decide to enter the same title in Psychology – you will need to send 4 + 3 books, for a total of seven (7) books for the two categories.
The reason we need this number of copies is that our Reviewers live in different cities and, in some instances, in different States of U.S.A. Our Office mails one copy to each Reviewer in the selected Category. Plus, one copy is maintained at the Nautilus Office, as reference copy for any questions that arise.
How to Send Books:
- Insert a photocopy of the completed Entry Form inside front cover of each book you send.
- Use a nation-wide shipping service such as U.S. Postal, U.S. Priority Mail, FedEx, UPS, so you can insure and/or track your package.
- Note: We welcome International mail for Book entries from other nations. Use your national Mail Service, and send the Book package to the PO Box address (see below). Important: Do NOT send International packages to the street address. There is No Mailbox there!
FOR USA SENDERS – The best shipping option (especially for large or heavy books) is to use the U.S. Postal Service FLAT RATE BOX /PRIORITY MAIL.
TRACKING: Please arrange to be able to track your package so you will know when it arrives. Both U.S. Media Mail (Book rate), and Priority Mail provide tracking information. You also have the option to purchase a ''Confirmation of Delivery" receipt. Or enclose a SASP (postcard) in the package for confirmation of arrival.
Because the Nautilus Office receives more than 500 packages during the active season, our staff do not send written confirmation of delivery. Your tracking information purchased with the postage, or enclosing a SASP, are the best methods to use.
We generally do not recommend 4TH CLASS BOOK RATE mail, as it can take a week or more to arrive and cannot be insured. Exception: for packages within Washington State, the Book Rate works fine (even in 2020!).
ADDRESS FOR SHIPPING Via USA Mail and International Mail
Packages via U.S. Postal Service – and International Mail services:
Nautilus Book Awards
P.O. BOX 2285 Vashon, WA 98070 USA
ADDRESS FOR DELIVERY Via FedEx, UPS, or other domestic courier services:
(i.e., the courier employee walks to the front door. There is No Mailbox at this address)
Nautilus Book Awards
Mary Belknap, Director
9427 SW 156th St, Vashon WA 98070
. (reference for courier: 206. 304-2250)